Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Super Nate Turns 5!

We had Nathan's Birthday party this Saturday over at Bliss Bake Shop in Bethany Village in NW Portland.  My mother in law took Ben and I to a crab feed dinner at her church and we bid on a birthday party package at the silent auction.  We ended up getting it!  Bliss was great - so adorable, awesome staff, and delicious cupcakes.  I highly recommend!

The theme was Super Heros, since Nate has been into them for awhile.  His big Christmas present last year was a Bat Cave, he was Iron Man for Halloween, and he got Trio Batman and Joker sets for Christmas this year.  I made his invitations with the Paintbrush application on my Mac (I wish I had photoshop!)  It turned out cute!  It took FOREVER to crop his picture.  I hung a white sheet over the baker's rack in our laundry room for a backdrop.  His outfit is Superman jammies with a velcro cape.
The treat bags were really fun.  I ordered the bags from Groovy Holidays.  I had a coupon for $20 off from Mamapedia Sweet Deals.  I filled the bags with Iron Man and The Hulk Silly Bandz, homemade Batman and Superman crayons (more on those later!), Batman notepads from the dollar section at Target, Spiderman stickers, and a Super Hero Squad figurine.  The kids were pumped about all the fun loot!

I had one bag leftover and am going to use it as a pattern to make more.  They are just sewn from felt.  Should be really easy to re-create.  And with my new embroidery attachment, I could personalize them!

I also made little cupcake toppers for the party.  Unfortunately, I forgot to put them on!  Here they are on the two leftover cupcakes after the party.  A good idea, too bad I forgot!  I found the graphics for free on a blog, but don't remember where and now I can't find it!  If you want the graphics, I have them saved on my computer.

I also whipped up a quick bunting flag of all of Nathan's birthdays.  I used a big circle punch to cut the pictures and taped them on in the car on the way to the bake shop!  
 This was the photo we used for his birth announcement.  Such a sweet little baby.
 Here are birthdays 1 and 2.  We still have that little crown.  It's now on a stuffed animal!
 Here are birthdays 3 and 4.  I'm excited to keep adding to this each year!  Maybe I'll make fabric flags and permanently adhere the pictures.  What a fun keepsake!

Last, but not least, were the Super Hero capes!!  My mom helped me make them and they turned out adorable!  I made various colors and let the kids pick which they wanted.  I also bought stick-on felt stars and let the kids decorate the Superman-esque emblems on the back.  Originally, I was going to put each child's initial on the emblem, but then I wasn't sure who was all going to come, so I didn't want to make extra work for myself!  This worked out great.  The kids loved decorating their own.  Here are Nate, Cody, Oliver and Audrey playing in the kid's area of the bake shop.  The boys were running wildly, letting their capes fly in the wind!

Here is my big 5 year old boy, with his special Batman cupcake!
 And a cute pic of Audrey.  She now loves Oreos!

That's it!  The kids had fun and so did I! All in all, I'd say it was a success!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

So adorable! Looks like it was a lot of super duper super hero fun! Sorry we missed it!

the potter zoo said...

Wow, Nicole. Awesome birthday party. I love the capes for all the attendees. And I especially like the cupcakes. BIF! POW!

Anonymous said...

Love it!! =)So awesome!!!

Unknown said...

Um I can't believe Nate is so old! Just looking at these pics makes me want to cry to see him year over year....can't he stay young forever!!!!

Unknown said...

Love the capes...they turned out cute! You are so creative!