Saturday, January 8, 2011

Hanging Christmas Cards

I know this post is a little too late for this year, but I saw this card holder at Pottery Barn awhile ago and have been craving it.  It was $35, and of course it's no longer available.

You see, I have been wondering what to do with my Christmas cards since the one I used to have burned up in flames last year.  I had made it when I was pregnant with Nathan because I never knew what to do with Christmas cards.  It was a tree that I cut out of cardboard, covered with green fleece, and glued ribbon on to make it like a photo display.  
At our annual Roomie Christmas Dinner last year, I had the card holder hanging above the buffet table in our living room with some cute, but cheap candles below it.  I had lit the candles to create a warm and inviting atmosphere for my guests.  During dinner I got up from the table and walked around to the living room to grab something (I don't even remember) and saw that the wall of cards were on fire!  It had happened so suddenly, and I started screaming "FIRE!"  All the boys jumped up from the table, threw the cards and candles out into the snow in the front yard, as all the girls were freaking out that the house could have burned down while we were enjoying Monterrey Chicken in the other room!  Sadly to say, the tree burned down, the wall turned black, and we had some fallen soldier Christmas cards.  One of my girlfriends got a little teary eyed after the whole ordeal, she was just shaken up by it all.  Of course one of the boys called her out on it, "Really, you're going to cry over some burned up Christmas cards??"  It was kinda funny!

So imagine my surprise when I checked Copy Cat Chic this morning, only to find the same card holder for sale at Pier 1 for only $10!!!!  So excited!  I may just have to snatch this one up so it will be ready for next year's slew of cards.  
 
And you might be thinking, what do I do with all these cards I save after the holidays?  Well, the photo cards go into a scrapbook that I keep of family and friends (it's fun to see how families change and evolve over the years!) and the regular cards get cut up into tags that I attach to all my gifts the next year.  Recycling! Yay!

What do you do with all of your old Christmas cards? How do you display them?

No comments: